Help with Baptism 1728 Dalum

Startet af Sallie Hobbs, 07 Okt 2011 - 14:19

Forrige emne - Næste emne

Sallie Hobbs

Hi,
Could someone please transcribe and translate this baptism?
Dalum, Odense, Odense   1646-1751
opslag 96, bottom right, 6 April, 1728, continuing to top of opslag 97, child Christian.

The index at familysearch says that the father is Crane. Is that name on here somewhere?

Thank you!
Mvh
Sallie

Vagn Lind

I see no Christian, no Crane --- only an child born and bapticed Povel
Venlig hilsen
Vagn Lind
6541 Bevtoft

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Vagn Lind,

Thank you for the reply and for taking time to look at the records.

It looks like the child Povel is the last entry on oplag 97. I'm looking at a different entry.

The one I'm interested in is the last one on oplsag 96. It appears to me that the entry continues to the top of opslag 97. I think it says something about "Capitain."

Thank you again for checking the records.

Mvh
Sallie

Ralph Rasmussen

Transcribed:

Mandagen den 6. April Capitai-
nens Frue forløst og fødte en Søn
kl: ii [11] om Formidaggen.  hand blev strax
it den 13. Maji.  Jomfrue Anna
Magrethe Lassen bar ham.
De andre Fadder vare
Obriste Schindel af Grøffebierg
Capitain Lieutenant Friderichsen
Lindved
Leutenant Chister af Højme.

'Captainen', i.e. the captain

The captain's name would be revealed/confirmed in his probate when Christian was named as an heir.  'Odensedatabasen' may be the source of the info at Family Search.

mvh
-Ralph
Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Ralph,

Once again I owe you a debt of gratitude. Thank you for transcribing the record, and for explaining "Captainen".

I checked the Dalum kirkebog and made a list of 10 baptisms of the children of Captain Krane/Crane, who later became Major Crane. All the records, except this one, give his surname, first as Krane, then as Crane.  Only in Oct 1725 was the first name of Captain Crane recorded on a baptismal record. It was recorded as Andreas.

This baptism does fit between one of Captain Crane's children in Nov 1726 and another one in May 1730.

I'm not sure where I am now. At this point I can't confirm that this particular child's father's name was Crane. Simply looking at the list of witnesses at this baptism tells me there were other men around who were captains.

Regarding Captain/Major Crane's probate: I found a reference online that says he died in 1748 in Kerteminde. I can order the film for that.

What is Odensendatabasen?

Thank you again for all your help.

Mvh
Sallie

Ralph Rasmussen

I haven't used the Odense archive site.  But it sounds promising, if you can manage at least a bit of Danish:  www.odensedatabasen.dk  I called up the home page, and it is active.

mvh
-Ralph

Med venlig Hilsen
Ralph Rasmussen
<1850 Hammer herred, Præstø

Sallie Hobbs

Thank you Ralph. I searched on Crane and got some census records from 1880, 1901, and 1921. No results for Krane or Chrane.

I found the kirkbog for the 1748 death. Will post in another thread.

Mvh
Sallie

Jane C

Hi Sallie - maybe you found this - if not - it's really interesting.

From: Meddelelser om Dimitterede fra Herlufsholm...etc. Volume 2 Albert Leth, Gustaf Ludvig Wad

[vedhæfting slettet af admin]

Sallie Hobbs

Hi Jane,

I did find that! And an earlier edition that says that Christian Crane #504 arrived at Herlufsholm in 1743, the same year that my Christian Crane left Bergen. Hm. :-)

I believe that book is wrong about the 1778 death for Andreas Christopher Crane.

Major Frederich Crane is the name of the one who died in Kundby in 1778. His age matches a son of Andreas Crane who was born in Dalum in 1725. Frederich Crane is not listed on the familysearch IGI index of Crane baptisms in Dalum, but he is in the Dalum kirkebog in 1725.

Google books gave me another lead on Andreas Christopher Crane. There is a magazine article that is only available as a snippet view. I'm off to the library to try to order the whole article.

Thanks for the detective work!
Mvh
Sallie