Mölhaussen his assistent's daughter baptized
at 11 o'clock and named - - - Dorothe
Carried bythe nightman's wife - Witn:
Niels Anderßøn nightman, Maths An-
derßøn, Hans Nielßøn, Maria Lisbeth
Nielsdatt.

mvh Ole

Kerry Larson

Thank you Ole.  That's very helpful.  I'd never heard of a matmanden/nightman:  https://viborgmuseum.dk/leksikon/n/natmanden. Yikes, it doesn't sound good.  Were only these names spelled in the Swedish manner, or were all the names on the page spelled the Swedish way, indicating the minister was Swedish, not the parishioners?

Ole Westermann

In modernized language:

Saturday 25 Sept. Mikkel Nielsen, son of nightman Niels Andersen, and serving as helper the executioner
Frans Mülhaussen in København, had a daughter baptized at 11 o'clock and named - - Dorothe
carried by MN's mother etc...

The nightman in the cities cleaned during the nights the latrines, removed garbage and helping the executioner,
but in Kbh from abt. 1700 as serving the executioner he didn't have to do the night soil etc.

The language 300 years ago did sound very different from today. And the Scandinavian languages are different gramatically from English.

Kerry Larson

Was Mikkel Nielsen the executioner's helper and Niels Andersen the nightman, or was Niels Andersen both the nightman and executioner's helper?

Ole Westermann

Mikkel Nielsen was helper to the executioner i København.
Niels Andersen, nightman in Kalundborg, could also be helper to an executor in Kalundborg, if there was a job to do
for an executor. Kalundborg probably didn't have their own executor. When they needed one, they called for him.

By the way I looked at the top of your link, that the nightman Niels Andersen's wife Karen Larsdatter carried a girl
Maria Kirstine, daughter of Maths Andersen, helper to the nightman in Næstved.

There were often very close relations between these nightmen/executioners - getting married their sons/daughters.
And that's how Mikkel got his job in København with Frans Mülhaussen.

Kerry Larson

Ole, thank you so much for pointing out that Niels Andersen's wife was Karen Larsdatter.  I wouldn't have seen that.  So Maths Andersen is also likely Niels Andersen's brother.